A resignation letter is a formal notice to the employer to announce the intent to leave the current position held by you. Almost all companies have a formal protocol to provide a formal resignation letter before leaving the company.
The duration of the notice period may differ from company to company. No matter the reason for resignation, leaving on healthy and professional terms can make the transaction process easy for both, company and the candidate.
Make sure to follow the complete protocol before leaving the company. It is essential to form a simple short resignation letter that will clarify the status and intent of leaving.
Formal resignation letters should include a clear objective, time period, and other necessary details about your departure from the organization.
What is a Short Notice Resignation Letter?
A resignation letter is a notice for your employer and manager so that they can find your replacement. However, it is impossible to provide a month’s notice; in that case, a short resignation letter is provided.
A short resignation letter is a document provided to an organization that will state the intent to resign from their current position with less than two weeks of notice.
Most employers require at least two weeks’ notice so that they have enough time to search for your replacement for the current position. A short resignation letter should be crisp and to the point.
How to Write a Short Resignation Letter for a Reduced Notice Period
To maintain a positive and formal relationship with your managers, provide a simple short resignation letter. Below is the way to write a short resignation letter for a short notice period.
- Tell your manager: Before writing the notice period, you must have a word with your manager to make him aware of the situation, as a resignation letter should not be a shock to your manager. This is a basic courtesy to offer to the company and eliminate any misunderstanding. It also provides you with the opportunity to discuss the final payment and other questions that may bother you.
- Use the proper format: The short notice resignation letter is a formal document that should follow a proper short notice resignation letter template. This will make the content easy to read and show professionalism. The proper resignation letter template will include the recipient’s complete name, address, and contact detail, position, Date of submission of the letter.
- State the position you are resigning from: Make sure you state the position you are resigning from. It is essential to submit a resignation letter as early as possible. In case of a short notice period, try to submit the letter at least two weeks before the actual resignation.
- Explain the reason for resignation on short notice: The recipient should mention the genuine reason for resigning for a short period so that the company knows the exact reason. Some of the reasons for short notice resignation are family emergencies, moving cities on an urgent basis, New job that requires you to start immediately.
- Express Gratitude: Before ending the resignation letter, mention how your time worked in the company and show some gratitude to the managers for the opportunity and skills gained during the employment.
- Even though you were unsatisfied with any aspect of your job it is recommended that you express your gratitude for the given opportunity.
- Close with Signature: It is essential to sign the resignation letter. Even if you are writing an email, mention the name and digital signature at the end of the email.
When submitting the resignation letter, make sure to follow the short notice resignation letter template. Following the template will show professionalism and will be helpful for your next job as well.
Resignation Letter Email Templates
Here is the short notice resignation template that will assist you with writing the simple resignation letter.
Example 1: Immediate Resignation Email Templates
[Manager’s First and Last Name]
Respected, [‘Title’ Manager’s Name]
I am submitting the resignation letter effective from [Date of resignation] at [company’s name]. I am resigning with short notice due to [Reason]; I hope you accept my apologies for providing the resignation letter on such short notice.
I want to express my gratitude for the opportunities and experiences this company has given me. It has made me a stronger person professionally. The company has provided me with many projects to work on since my joining [Joining Date/Number of Years Worked].
I hope you will understand my reason for resigning on short notice though I will do my best to make the translation easier for the company over the next few days [Date of resignation/Period of Notice].
If there is a need to contact me, I will be available on a call or through email [contact details] to help speed up the hiring process.
Reduce Notice Period Mail Examples
To make the drafting process easy, we have provided a simple resignation letter sample.
Example 2: In case of joining a new job
June 30, 2021
Mr. Vaibhav Sharma
Chief Marketing Officer
527/C Dr. Rajkumar Road
Respected Mr. Vaibhav,
Please accept this letter as an official resignation letter effective from July 5, 2021. I understand this is relatively short notice, but I have got a job, and there was an urgent joining, and I had to accept the offer. Please accept my heartfelt regrets for the short notice.
Thank you for providing me with the opportunity to work on some great projects and helping me develop leadership qualities.
Would you please let me know if I can do anything to make the transaction easier? I have already started to work on winding up things and making the process easy for the next joinee. Although if there is a need, I will be available to communicate through my phone and email.
Example 3: In case of personal reasons
July 1, 2021
Mr. Vaishnav Thakur
Chief Legal Officer
A-77 First Floor, Defence Colony,
New Delhi, 110024
Dear Mr. Vibhav,
Please accept my resignation letter effective from July 5, 2021.
I am resigning from the position of Chief Operating Officer due to personal reasons. I apologize for such a short notice period which otherwise wouldn’t have happened. I appreciate the time spent here.
Thank you for the opportunity provided to me; I have learned a lot under your guidance.
Please let me know how to make the transaction more manageable; I will try my best to do the same. I will be available by email in case of any need.
Example 4: Leaving on 2 Weeks Notice
19/11 M.G Road
Panvel, Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra, 500036
Oct 10, 2023
F-56, Birla Tower, Old Airport Road
Mumbai, Maharashtra, 500021
Dear Mr. Rana,
I am writing to let you know that I am resigning from my job at Zee Company, where I work as a [title]. My last day will be Oct 23, 2023.
I’ve made some great friends during my time here, and I’ll always cherish those memories. I think giving a two-week notice is a good amount of time for them to find someone new to take my place. If you need any help with anything during this time, please don’t hesitate to ask. I want to say thank you for the opportunity and for always being supportive.
[Optional Contact Number]
Example 5: Email – Resignation Letter Sample
Dear [Title] [Name]
This is my formal resignation from the post of [Your Position] from [company’s name] effective from [last Date of the job].
I apologize for the inconvenience caused due to my resignation on short notice. I would have provided the two-week notice period but [Reason for short notice]. I would be grateful if you would accept my resignation in such a short period. I enjoyed my time spent in the company and got the opportunity to learn a lot from you. Please let me know how to make the transaction more manageable. I will try my best to do the same. I will be available by email in case of any need.
Short Resignation Letter Writing Tips
Below are the tips for a simple employee resignation letter format if you are emailing your resignation letter.
- Keep Your Subject Line Clear: You do not want your resignation letter to be lost in clusters of thousands of emails. Hence it is crucial to write crisp and clear subject lines for your notice letter.
- Keep Your Notice Short and Simple: When writing a resignation letter, make sure to make it precise. A simple short resignation letter will help employers understand your message and, more important, things more clearly.
- Proofread And Edit: Before sending the email, make sure you have gone through a short notice resignation letter template and proofread everything. This will show professionalism and will leave a significant impact on your senior before leaving the job.
- Be Concise: Keep your resignation letter short and to the point. Mention your intent clearly and the last working day.
- Express Gratitude: Begin with a polite and appreciative tone. Thank your employer for the opportunities and experiences you’ve had.
- Provide Transition Assistance: Offer your help in the transition process, such as training a successor or completing pending projects.
- Use a Professional Tone: Maintain a respectful and professional tone throughout the letter. Even if your reasons for leaving are negative, stay courteous.
- Don’t Be Negative: Avoid criticizing your current employer, colleagues, or the company. Negative language can harm your professional image.
- Don’t Overshare: Keep personal details or reasons for leaving private. You don’t need to disclose too much in a resignation letter.
- Don’t Delay: Submit your resignation letter well in advance, following your company’s notice period policy. Avoid leaving it to the last minute.
- Don’t Skip Proofreading: Carefully proofread your letter to avoid typos or errors that might convey carelessness.
Conclusion on Resignation Letter Format
In conclusion, crafting a short resignation letter is an essential skill for any professional. Following these tips ensures you part ways with grace and professionalism, leaving a positive impression. Keep it brief, maintain respect, and proofread carefully. Your short resignation letter speaks volumes about your professionalism and sets the stage for future endeavors.
FAQs on Resignation Letter Without Notice Period
Q1. What is considered a short notice period?
An average notice period in most companies is two weeks. Anything less than two weeks, be it one week or just a few days, is considered a short resignation letter.
Q2. I have to resign on a short notice period. How to write a short resignation letter for a reduced notice period to leave the company gracefully?
To leave the company gracefully, make sure to follow these steps.
- Notify your manager face to face
- Submit the official resignation letter
- Work Honestly In your notice period
- Return any property of the company
- Take all your personal belongings with you
- Be available for some time, even after your resignation.
Q3. Do I have to provide a reason for the short resignation letter?
It is considered professional if you give a genuine reason for resignation. Although if you don’t want to give the reason, you can cite the ‘personal reason’ instead of giving the proper reason.
Q4. Can my resignation be rejected?
Yes, sometimes resignation can be rejected due to various reasons. You can clarify the reason for the rejection of the notice for your convenience.
Q5. What reasons can I mention for resigning from my current job?
To resign from the current job, you can give professional reasons like career growth and a flexible schedule. Or you can also give personal reasons like leaving the city, pursuing further education, family problems, etc. Make sure you provide a genuine reason, maintain dignity, and do not write reasons like you hate your boss or hate the company. This can create a negative impact.
|Common Interview Questions
|BPO Interview Questions
|Free Job Alert
|Accenture Interview Questions